Erlangxiang, Guizhou, China
741 feet high / 226 meters high
656 foot span / 200 meter span
Another high Chinese crossing of gargantuan proportions, the Tongzihe Bridge is the largest structure on the extension of the Zunchi Expressway that continues north from Renhuai city to the Guizhou/Sichuan border where the bridge is located at kilometer 50.
The three main piers of Tongzihe are solid at the base and support both directions of highway. The tallest measures a jaw dropping 175 meters from foundation to cap and ranks among the 10 tallest on earth. The main span configuration is 108+2×200+108 meters. With 12 more approach spans of 30 meters and one of 50 meters the total length of the bridge is 1,131.6 meters.
Tongzihe Bridge Elevation
Foundation work at the base of the 175 meter tall super pier.
For those who might be interested, the list below shows the World's 10 Tallest Bridges as measured from the top of the foundation to the top of the tower. All are suspension or cable stayed bridges.
1. Hutong Bridge, China 345 meters
2. Millau Viaduct, France 336 meters
3. Russky Island Bridge, Russia 320 meters
4. Sutong Bridge, China 300 meters
5. Stonecutters Bridge, China 290 meters
6. Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge, Japan 287 meters
7. Chishi Viaduct, China 287 meters
8. Yi Sun-sin Bridge, South Korea 270 meters
9. Jingyue Bridge, China 265.5 meters
10. Guizhou Bridge, China 262 meters